Translate

Monday 4 February 2008

'Men' of letters – is this a significant dimension of the blogging phenomenon?

Blogging is something I do more as a pastime than anything else. I was hoping to improve the quality of my writing through frequent practice and I don’t think that my writing style has reduced in quality as a result. The criterion of good writing having a quality of ‘communicating to an audience’ is very significant for most written text. It assumes that a piece of writing or text can be evaluated to make some form of impact upon an audience, does seem to be one issue which is of significance when I look at the pseudo-social-science-style that I engage in. And to an extent I could imagine that becoming a ‘man of letters’ and use whatever intellectual ability I do have may be a reasonable goal at some point if I wish to pursue this area. However, so few people become what can be classed as very influential men of letters that I doubt this will happen: it is extremely unlikely that anything of any significance will come from a blog which has started in this manner. It is also almost a Victorian concept in todays society like having a 'considered opinion' although both of these are important notions.

My writing may be clear but there isn’t any impact upon any sphere of life. To an extent I think this may mean that there is significant failing of my outputs. In some respects this may be the case, however, not everything is meant to ‘work’ or ‘be effective’ when there is a strong emphasis on this type of the impacts of this that and everything else – maybe the element of loafing in British culture is what has been lost on in the grand scheme of things. To an extent I guess I should consider what extent of a leisure activity this – to a very great extent I think there’s something to be said for the art of loafing and blogging is my loafing at present. There perhaps should be a greater consideration of minor influence through blogging in a more post-structural or post-modern sense.

It does strike me as unusual that relaxation has been removed to a degree from Western culture and that there is a requirement to discover eastern mysticism, misrepresenting Hinduism and Buddhism as a result. There is such a great emphasis on meditation to an extent where relaxation may be seen as much a part of our necessary living along with the need to experience a necessary form of excitment to compliment this relaxation. Has the art of loafing become a degraded concept in the west? Are we only to loaf in a number of consumerist contexts these days?

There is perhaps an underground loafing movement which came into being upon the harsh act of altering British summer time in order to stop peasant labourers from loafing during the day. Perhaps the ruling classes have been subject to strange forces because of this barbaric and ruthless act? Why else remove relaxation and freedom to do absolutely nothing unless from life unless this is class- action – this is the plague that hits the ruling class if they remove this basic right from the working classes. Perhaps the new age phenomenon of the South-West is a justified and healthy movement?

I’ve thought about exploring the issue of relaxation, meditation and why there has been an East-West divide, why this may create a need to explore meditation rather than explore relaxation through one's own culture - why do we seem to be sold on the spirituality of India (other than the fact it has been the birthplace of several major religions). I haven't undertaken any research or considered these matters in any detail, however, I do feel as if this is fertile ground for exploration. It makes me wonder about the new form Islam that is meant to be arising from Birmingham. Will there be a new form of relaxation within it, perhaps based on Tiswas and other forms of low-brummie culture? Possibly shariah law will be replaced by contests on Gladiators? Will Barry Fry be the messiah? Tiswas style executions of buckets of water and custard pies for women who have been unfaithful to their husbands? Maybe it is better to consider myself as not having any degree of influence and not speculate on such stupid things.

It is quite difficult to identify a crucial influencing factor in most social events which take place and if anything I assume that even if there are thousands of bloggers there will be no impact of this writing. Maybe I did think for some really quite bizarre reason that I would be able to influence some part of the world through a blog and that there were a small chance of influencing this next form of Islam if it ever arises. Whether the quality of my writing has improved rather than just stayed the same through blogging as I started on, is another question.

No comments: