Translate

Wednesday 26 November 2008

The big gigs of the year


I don't know what I was expecting when I booked my ticket for Herbie Hancock at Symphony Hall a few months ago. It was a show that I think probably fell into the ranks of indescipherable progressive jazz that is only of note because of how lacking in melody it can be. I had quite long spells in the gig when I couldn't fathom out what I was meant to be listening to and then almost suddenly, as if mist were clearing, glimpses where the melody, rhythm and harmonies came together in quite an amazing scene. It did remind me of why a lot of working class whites like black performers - they've seen them escape from the same type of living conditions and circumstances that they've endured and been largely unable to break free from, perhaps seeing a black performer represents that individual who has managed to break free from social class and other restrictions that reduce freedom, quality of life and a sense of being more than a just another individual. They've made the class jump in a manner that Michael Parkinson would quite frequently aim to highlight about a great many of the guests that he's had on his chat show.

With many similarities and differences in mind, I also saw Paul Carrack at the Town Hall earlier last week. I had an objective if you can call it that, of seeing a couple of big names during the course of the year and the three or four biggies have been Herbie Hancock, Paul Carrack and The Beach Boys who I saw at the NIA. I did also see Stan Tracey and his sextet which was as good an experience at a gig as I've had this year. I have spent a lot of time this year in an eighties revival mode. Not having had MTV I've not seen the pop videos that I've seen as a child for years and so many are on youtube such as the ACE version of How long has this been going on? which stands up relatively well and is a staple of most daytime radio stations. Paul Carrack, although he was introduced by Trevor Francis seem to do a type of show that I've seen done maybe just a little bit too often. I wondered who I'd pair him with to stretch him just a little bit - perhaps Bjork or maybe the Portico Quartet with the inspired sound - stretch yourself just a little more please Mr. Carrack.....

No comments: