Translate

Tuesday 17 February 2009

Ever felt mildly embarrassed when you met someone but weren't sure why...?

It happened to me a few weeks ago. I met someone in a job centre whom I saw going red quite easily...I don't know if I should state this but I think it wasn't our first meeting. I seemed to have some recovered memory as I quite frequently do of an incident which occurred on the canal towpath that I must have been cycling along on my way to work one morning when I worked at Teleperformance.

There are reasons why the real causes of mental illness are kept out of the public gaze - it's highly illegal nationally and must also break international human rights laws for governments to allow to happen what does. One of the mechanisms seems to be how the human mind is considered to have malfunctioned if an individual has some recollection of a benefits advisor taking a shit on a canal towpath, the advisor realising that they've done this in a public place and then this being classed as a reason for why they were going quite so red. It is embedded within popular culture that this type of explanation can only be connected to the malfunctioning human mind owing to a high degree of overwork, poor work-life balance, poor inter-personal relationships or some other explanation which is largely bio-psycho-social in nature: that we're prone to mental illness when we don't take adequate care of ourselves and someone merely needs to adopt a different approach to life in order to recover from a bout of mental illness, take a course of medication or have extended time out.

These types of 'sensible' bio-psycho-social models do appeal and may make a large degree of sense in a great many instances, however, in my experience there does seem to be a great deal bubbling under - and there are distinct problems associated with dismissing someone as a conspiracy theorist who doubts the credibility of these models. I continue to try and influence the authorities to believe that this is a distinct possibility, however, the means that are used to shape the society we live in and to extend life, whilst being illegal, are probably the most effective manner of increasing life expectancy - we assume there to be very genuine reasons why life expectancy has increased - McKeown's work being a prime example of this. This is a correlational approach which examines the increases in life expectancy with industrialisation and concludes that increases in life expectancy have occurred largely through environmental improvements and legislation to reduce the frequency of accidental death. There is no doubt that correlational studies are generally only going to indicate a little about causes and in no way be conclusive - there could be a great deal more that needs to be uncovered regarding the reasons behind these changes.

I think about the one blushing fellow I met and the impact that his facilitated negative emotional state may have had upon how comfortable I felt in that situation and I don't think that there could be much in the way of reason for it - there was something that had taken place and perhaps one day I'll find out who did what and why?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Do you have copy writer for so good articles? If so please give me contacts, because this really rocks! :)

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.

Anonymous said...

It is useful to try everything in practice anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)