Translate

Friday 12 March 2010

Migraine, headaches and mania - do sunglasses reflect a disorder?


I've been wearing sunglasses for a while now - nothing that unusual about that I guess but I've had a reduction in the low levels of tension that I tend to suffer from and on balance less of a feeling of pending headache that would be impossible to escape from. It was an issue that I raised with a health service representative who suggested I did a little basic research on the matter as there wasn't anything they'd been trained on regarding theraputic possibilities of sunglasses. It appears that their first thoughts were roughly correct, if information that you can access through the first few pages of a google search can be anything like reliable.

For some individuals there can be negative impacts it seems - sunglasses can actually cause headaches for some wearers - for me and perhaps a few others, there is the opposite impact - there is the general reduction in low level tension which can result in a headache after a while or if there are other contributing factors. For me, when I've been reliant on the standard methods of trying to get tension levels down, through relaxation, controlling my breathing, eating regularly and trying to exercise etc. avoiding the factors which tend to cause an increase in tension it's been almost a revalation. Sunglasses seem to be working as a means to taking the edge of the tension I tend to experience.

I don't think there is anything like the type of empirical evidence that would be necessary to cause individuals to get this type of treatment on the NHS especially when it's possible to get a decent pair of sunglasses for under a fiver on ebay. It would be interesting to find out which factors co-occur in determining who benefits from wearing sunglasses, even in normal lighting conditions, and who finds it a potential hazzard to health and well-being. Though I don't think I become rock star like, I do find that I can benefit from daily wear sunglasses and hope other people can too.

No comments: