Translate

Tuesday 15 April 2008

Central America - what´s it really like...?

Landed safely. The Mexico City Hostal is acceptable and it's pretty centrally located in the 'Centro Historico'. Nothing much has happened as I have not ventured outside. The street life is interesting enough just to watch from the balcony of the hostal dormitory that I share with eleven others and I have to wander around today trying to feel cultured and not scared of the rather intimidating surroundings of the massive place that Mexico city is.

The metro journey from the train station to the hostal area was not quite what I cal the most luxurious of journeys however it was only 2 pesos which is about 10p and they did run very frequently and efficiently. I vaguely recall having seen the Mexico City subway on TV in the 1970's and seeing the rubber tyres that the system runs on did bring back a few memories. There was one incident of Mexican machismo on the metro as I watched a small child practicing his boxing by thumping a man, I presume his father, straight in the face with his father glowing with pride at the fact that his son could throw a punch but appart from that,´they´re just the same as us, loike' I think the saying is.

It was a small frustration that I was also asked to smoke outside of the hostal, I come to a developing world country to smoke inside. I guess the health and safety is something that I would ideally like at the same standard all over the world so that workers everywhere aren't subjected to risk in the workplace as hotel and bar staff have been, however, I do want to find I can enjoy low standards from time to time as I'm sure anyone who knows me would vouch for.

Would like to have a clearer itinary in mind and know where I am going to be in a couple of weeks or so, however, I really don't know what is going to seem like a good idea as far as travel goes and I think trying to get a small feel for the local culture is something that I can imagine is going to happen anyway as I check out the major tourist sites on foot today.

No comments: