Translate

Friday 25 April 2008

Final day in San Cristobal

Up late. Didn´t do a thing in the morning and have since found that I was just a little dehydrated. A litre of agua mineral later I have found that there is a minimum fluid intake I need to stick to. Spent some of the early afternoon reading ´Playing for Thrills´by Wang Shuo, China´s very own Jack Kerouac. I´m working my way towards Doris Lessing. Probably a bit too ´African´ though very much a good travel read even if you´re in Central America.

The only thing of any real substance I did today was wander down to the cluster of bus stations at the south side of the city and get myself booked onto the trip to Palenque. I was planning on writing a novel while I was away (I´m a big fan of Ernie Wise, I´ll write a short opera in the morning and then the structure for a novel in the afternoon, and possibly a play while I am cooking my tea). Palenque and the culture of the Mayan´s in the region was going to be one of the themes within the book. Who knows maybe it is something I´ll get around to doing when I´m retired, if I am not already.

Today is really quite a special day on some levels. Six months ago I began a course of anti-depressants which were meant to take about three to six months to gather any real momentum as the slowly work on readjusting the levels of certain neurotransmitters in my brain back to a normal level. This has largely taken place and I find that the relatively small highs and lows in life have had meaning returned - believe me if you don´t understand depression it is losing contact with the small lows and highs and adjusting as a result of these which really separates you from the rest of society in a dangerous way. I do feel very much like I´m on the straight and narrow in a particularly good way and on the one hand I feel like going out to celebrate what feels like the end of an era, I guess on the other what I should be doing is planning on how to get my life back on track in the next few months. Have a drink for me in the next few days. Here´s to being ´reconnected´.

No comments: