Translate

Thursday 24 April 2008

San Cristobal - The museum of Mayan culture.

I don´t think I have been to a museum before that makes you feel like joining the tribe of indians in the rainforest quite so much as the Na Bolom Museum of Mayan culture in San Cristobal. It is an ideal small stop off for an hour or so and does give you the feeling that you´re wandering around in the home of Indiana Jones or in this case Franz Blom (archaeologist) and his wife Gertrude Blom (photographer and environmentalist). I´ll aim at getting some of the shots from there online in the next few days - it really was quite special.

There are some cracking shots of the mayan people on the walls of the museum that I had to assume were taken by Gertrude Blom - it appears that if you want to see them you would probably need to visit the museum as there doesn´t look like there is much in the way of books that cover the work of the Bloms available online. Another issue which struck me as being very unusual was that several of the Mayans had haircuts that appeared very mullett-like, the photographs of these tended to be from the 1950´s. I did wonder if the inspiration behind the McCartney mullet of the 1970´s was actually Mayan or perhaps from elsewhere - who know´s he doesn´t read my blog.

San Cristobal remains cool. It does feel very laid back here and I must get around to doing something other than lying in the hammock in the courtyard of the hostal that I am staying in. If you´re passing this way it´s called Los Palomas and is on Guadalupe Victoria of the Zocalo. At 85 Pesos a night, about 4.50 sterling, it´s not a bad deal though all of the hostals in Mexico have been fine.

No comments: