Translate

Thursday 3 July 2008

Flu-ed out again

Haven't been as ill as I was yesterday since Antigua - it was a pretty hellish cold. I've managed to at least get up today, yesterday I only made it to the corner shop and a few dodgy chemists to get some lemsips or what ever the local equivalent is.

Today, I try to reset the date of my flight and sort myself out to head towards San Jose, Costa Rica in the next day or two. I may be flying out on the 6th if I can't change the day of the flight which means a lot of travelling tomorrow if that's the case.

I won't get into the habit of beating myself up over not having achieved all I could have done when I've been in this area - there is certainly a lot to do around here and I don't think I've done a third of what I could have done if I was in a good state of health. However, I've seen the area and spent time lounging around in cafes and bars doing relatively good things the majority of the time. My Spanish is slightly better though I can't say that I think that I'm what I'd class as fluent.

I don't like to reflect on what has gone on to any great extent over the last few months in relation to my state of health but I can only guess that I have overall improved. I can't say that this is the dream break that I would have liked it to have been - I don't know if it is at all. The area is interesting and the current political situations have been alive and dominant from time to time in terms of what has been going on around here. That hasn't really engaged me and I haven't had that degree of connectedness to the area that I would have liked. It's felt very much like I'm passing through and despite a connection to a few of the people that I've met I've still had a lot of questions about what's been going on.

I've met the same people that have been on the same Lonely Planet trail and have seen them in various towns and places across the Central America area. There have also been a large number of people I've seen who bear a strong resemblance to those I've known in the UK for the last few years. It has made me wonder about the nature of, I presume Catholic, links between Birmingham and Central America - there could be hundreds.

The problem of having the 24 hour flu bug I've got at the moment does tend to leave me feeling that I'm going to spend my last few days here dealing with the illness and the Red Dwarf like dreams that I've had over the last 24 hours - I did spend much of the time asleep.

Picture up top is of the cathedral in the Parque Central in Granada - other shots of Granada on Lemsip are there on flickr, just click the link.

No comments: