Translate

Tuesday 1 July 2008

What happened last night....

For years I found it amusing that a friend of Andy Bishop had come home drunk and then found himself in his parents bedroom as the light came on and he realised that he was urinating in their wardrobe. I don't know why this type of image caused me such mirth for so long, after all the man had only been out drinking and had then had one of those short memory blanks which resulted in him finding himself doing something that he would not ordinarily have done.

I was very suprised when somethning similar happened to me last night. I was not really what I could call amazingly drunk and I went to sleep with many of the faculties that I had when I started drinking. What surprised me a great deal was the feeling of awakening when I realised I was doing something that I shouldn't be doing. It was very annoying and it did cause me a great deal of frustration, as it did for the poor American guy I had been urinating on during the small hours of the morning. He most certainly was not happy and I was glad that we didn't come to blows and the hostel manager was content to allow us to resolve matters between ourselves. I went and hid as a result.

There is what I could class some anti american feeling in Nicaragua owing, I presume largely, to the Reagan funding of the Contras which basically cost lives. There are only marginal differences between Honduras and Nicaragua in terms of the visible culture of the place, but those include for instance a total lack of prescence of the American corporation - the multinationals that are all over Honduras are not present in Nicaragua. There is apparently one McDonalds in the country in Managua, the capital. There are also a few people selling Marxist and Leninist literature in the form of pamphlets etc on the street but there doesn't seem to be a big trade in these as they're not recently produced and they're certainly not selling like hot cakes.

No comments: