Translate

Tuesday 22 July 2008

One week of job hunting.

After spending just a week trying to get a job I've had very little in the way of success. The 'credit crunch' seems to be the flavour of the month as a phrase to describe the impending recession which I am not sure if it will take place or not. I’ve signed on with a couple of agencies and tried to get my CV sent to several others but nothing is really coming forward at present. One job application went in the post today and I would hope that this results in at least a refusal letter but these tend only to be sent by high profit margin companies.

I’ve signed on with Work Directions in order to get some support but they didn’t seem to think that I was going to be that in need of the service. I assume that I will not get much in the way of guidance through the next few weeks job hunting, perhaps wrongly.

I’ve had opportunity to check out some of the journals in Central Library that are kept in stack such as Aperture, an American photographic journal; Fotomagazine, a German journal and Creative Camera, Ten 8 and a couple of others. They provide a certain amount of background in terms of what social documentary photography has been comprised of over the last few decades and make quite good reading. I think it’s worth spending the occasional evening in there having a quick look through what they have available.

I’ve thought about the extent of the problems that I have at the moment and I regard there to be a strong chance that I’m facing severe hardship – not like the little cutie that demanded I take her photograph on the trek that I took in Nepal last year. She assertively came up to me and asked that I take her picture, lining the photograph up and requesting that the door behind her was used as a background. Nice of a six year old to arrange a shot for me like that. She lived in a very poor area and I don’t imagine that the nature of the problems in my life would have any meaning whatsoever for her and most of the people in the locality that she lives in.

No comments: