Translate

Tuesday 13 May 2008

Antigua: the pretty city.

I've been in Antigua a little over a day now. Yesterday was a bit of a wash out. I didn´t manage to get up until about 4pm after a nights travel from Flores on a bus that left at about 9.20pm and arrived in Guatemala City at about 6am. Then after about a one hour shuttle bus ride to Antigua I managed to find a cheap and nasty hostel. The people running it were pleasant enough though with some posadas there is a tendency for them to feel more like they are family homes, somewhere you perhaps should n't be. If you want to stay in a hotel then you get a hotel, posada is far more informal, moreso than a bed a breakfast.

Antigua is pleasant enough as a place to visit and because of the number of language schools in the area the shopkeepers tend to be a little more tolerant of poorly spoken spanish than anywhere else I´ve been in latin america. I´ll find a school to learn just a little more spanish at in the next few days and hopefully I´ll be close on fluent by the time I leave San Jose in a couple of months. As far as a place to be Antigua is a good location temperature wise as well, it´s rained here for the first time on this trip, though that was only for a few seconds.

If you´re wondering about the Blue Girl, I was having slightly blue-ish thoughts when I was buying my bus ticket from her. Ít may be one of the lines from the film ´A Beautiful Mind´but I don´t think I´ve looked at a womans face before and thought about it in terms of the mathematical equations that could be used to describe the curves and shapes within it quite as much as I did with this travel agent. This is surely the territory of total cliche to the artist and perhaps even the mathematician. Maybe just an attractive face.

No comments: