Translate

Sunday 4 May 2008

Laundromat: This isn't photojournalism, is it?


I'm not making any serious attempt to enter photo journalism and I doubt that I would be able to sell any of these pictures but it was quite a good challenge while I was doing my laundry yesterday to try my hand at capturing what it was like to do laundry in Belize on a Saturday afternoon. As laundromats go, the semi-deco style does have at least some appeal as a building but the overall deccay is probably what would strike most people when looking through the 'Laundromat' images on FLIKR, if you use the link in the top right of the screen.

The sight of the pensioner walking down the road crossed with images of the vice closing in was meant to signify what life is like here for the elderly. Not too many have pensions so most really can't be described as pensioners. There are a lot of elderly men working on the Island of Caye Caulker and they seem to be relatively content here but I guess I'm just passing through.

I didn't set up the shots of the Lizard with the lump of chicken breast that he somehow can't manage to chew - it did seem quite unusual watching him attempt to eat it. In England I guess you may pay a trip to a park and feed the ducks in Belize I guess it's easier to feed a lizard while you're doing your laundry.

Some nice shots but really, this just isn't photo journalism, is it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great read. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you hear that some chinese hacker had busted twitter yesterday again.