Translate

Friday 9 May 2008

Last day in Caye Caulker


Finally, I've got the courage to leave the island. The ten days here has been really idylic in most respects. Early in the morning relatively speaking there's a boat to Belize City and then a bus straight through to Flores. Can't imagine that there'll be too many problems but the Foreign Office guidelines do warn against taking the chicken buses which the locals use probably to ensure the tourists can support the more expensive transport laid on for them.

Haven't read up on Guatemala yet and don't know where I'll be staying in Flores just yet though I hope everything remains as peaceful as things have been already. Mexico was just fine and there were no major disturbances and Belize has been a breeze. Like the atmosphere on the island. I hope everyone gets to come here one day in their lives.

There have been a few minor issues here and I find the lifestyle generally too laid back for me personally but it has made a bold impression on me how harmonious life in the Carribean can be. There certainly are problems here but I guess that I can't really make a contribution to easing them that readily and I assume several charities and the government itself support aid work here. I don't know how much of a contribution the British Government makes to British Honduras as was but I assume that there is some reason for them to continue being part of the Commonwealth.

No comments: