Translate

Thursday 15 May 2008

Life in Antigua.

Well after a couple of days in Antigua I've finally managed to get myself along to a language school and get myself a quote on Spanish lessons. I don't think it's that expensive considering five days of one to one lessons works out as about 52 UK Sterling for four hours a day and about 68 UK Sterling for six hours a day which means the teachers aren't on a great rate of pay especially considering this is at one of the better established schools.

The title link above should take you through to a slide show on flickr for the shots of Tikal which are arranged to highlight the sense of the intruding jungle around the pyramids and remains. I don't think it works brilliantly but it does come work to an extent. I'm sure this type of thing has been done better else where and shots of Angkor Watt in Cambodia would probably make a better subject matter than the one I've chosen but hey limited resources etc. It's okay. It reminds me a little of the types of images that have been put together on youtube by music fans that are disappointed that there aren't videos to go along with songs that they love. Check out Kashmir if you've got a few minutes to spare. I thought the improvised Day in the life was a little better but almost certainly put together by amateurs. See Day in the life for this.

I've got a possible guitar teacher on the horizon as well which could be good. Hopefully he'll be as good value as the language school. I don't know if I'll make much progress while I'm here but it's a possibility.

I've managed to watch some classic Birmingham City moments on youtube since I got here which is a pretty sad undertaking in the UK let alone in Guatemala. Maybe I've got a Guatemalan counterpart in Birmingham at this very moment who's watching his home team on the web miles from home. The hostal I'm in is about 3.80 UK sterling a night including wi-fi access to the web so it's pretty good value for the room I have.

I've also managed to get around to sticking up some shots of Rachel Mainstone on Flickr which can be found atRachel at Katie Fitzgeralds which may look a lot like they were taken by a five year old but they seem to capture a little of the evening. I don't know if they somehow landed on my camera but I suspect that there was a little tinkering on that night.

No comments: