Translate

Sunday 15 June 2008

Arriving in Copan Ruinas.

The van pulled into Parque Central at about four this afternoon. Copan Ruinas is, as far as it seems so far, quite a nice little town. I feel very much at home as a result of the rather globalised feel of the particular cafe that I'm in, it's been done out in much the same way as many of the Central American themed places in the UK as far as I recall. The style does lack something in terms of the authenticity that one gets if one is willing to dice with diarrhea in a real local bar that tends normally to resemble a transport cafe done Honduras style but there is something infective about the music in a place that can override anything traditional or genuinely local about it. The place feels globalised as a result: the music, the decor and the menu - largely arranged to suit the westerner. There is little in the way of the authentic Honduras about the place though on the one hand the place is an almost sterilely stylised-Honduran bar and other the hand integration of culture is what keeps people together and the world ticking over.

Today was a largely uneventful day. There were a few 'familiar faces' around. In Mexico in a couple of places there were people who resembled J-Lo and today again I saw someone with very similar bone structure to a point where I did consider the woman I saw to be likely to be related to her. I don't know if Emma from OCR has any relatives out here but one of the other women I was close to for a few minutes looked a lot like her. It really wouldn't surprise me if there was something in the way of a big connection between Central America and the Midlands - perhaps the international business community, cum ruling class, cum European Monarchy have ensured that seeds have been spread around the world, I can't say. It's most likely due to my state of mind that there are things going on around me that seem to defy conventional explanations.

I'm in a backpackers that I don't think that I've been to before but I did have a very strange de ja vu when I entered the dormitory. I think it may have figured in images in SBPS and may have been a place that the other guy had been to - it's not that it bugs me it's that I don't actually know when I dreamt about the three bedded room that I'm staying in, whether it was before or after the night at SBPS. The dream sequence I had seemed to finish with a woman - though I don't know how this was facilitated, it does seem very unusual that this took place in the dream. I think I'll be heading back alone tonight. Pulling doesn't seem like a viable option with what has gone on. Annoyance like this aside, Copan Ruinas is a nice place to be.

There's a guy from Israel who seems to look a little like Mike H from Plymouth Poly days and a guy who announced himself as being from Birmingham, though actually in the cold light of day he's from Cannock and I'M THE ONE FROM BIRMINGHAM. It does get on my wick that so many people in the public eye especially seem actually not to be from Birmingham but from Smethwick or Dudley or worse of all from Solihull or Sutton Coldfield. The likes of Tessa Sanderson, Joan Armatrading and Jasper Carrot are more Brummie because they've actually lived in the city good and proper. God, I think I've been drinking a little too much recently but for Christ's sake, who lets them say they're from Birmingham on the so-called reputable BBC.

The issue that was raised a few days ago, on Saturday 8th June, regarding the need for El Salvador to have it's own version of the Goodies may have been overlooked by the BBC but I think Honduras may actually be a better place for this. Why do those BBC prats not do what I want for once? Why don't they think about the input to the Central American economy that could be made by making a few programmes as good as Cod almighty part one, part two and part three? It's amazing thinking about the BBC's reputation when the special effects from the sixties and the seventies are considered. Would the British tolerate a developing world nation producing TV of this nature? I somehow doubt it. Comic relief could consider what they could do in this position.

Another thing I've been doing of recent is adding on models on facebook who have turned up on 'do you know these people' or ‘these people may be your friends’ as you've got mutual friends in common etc. What's been interesting is that I now have made friends with Rhian Sugden and Sophie Howard, not that they're the real things. It's probably some spotty teenager in Kettering who's added on images of his favourite models. I wonder if he's reading this thinking you sarcy sod, why did you add them on in the first place? Facebook a place where I've got loads of friends, most of whom you’ll never meet...

A rave-like crowd have just pulled into the bar and despite the range of western English accents (eg. American, Canadian, English, Scottish) there does seem to be just a little bit of an influenced youth culture that has spread into our twenties and thirties. It's probably the music that's the key factor for me to bind groups of people together who wouldn't normally have a great deal in common. But I don't know if I'll find anything more than music to bring a group together. I don't know if there's going to be anything more substantial - politics should be a greater focal point for the youth of the nation and the population at large but understandably there's great cynicism around it. When it comes down to it there's no doubt some degree of concern over the credibility of politics as a pursuit that should bring you closer to other people but leisure and work seem pretty much firmly divided for the majority in the west and this stops politics being the form of meaningful recreation that it could be.

I did find the poetry group I attended to be a relatively meaningful pursuit, if only for a short while, but there appeared to be a few games going on that I didn't think I should have been subject to. I do wonder when someone is subject to games which amount to little more than harassment within somewhere like a poetry society whether they'll ever be free of games in the least. It does strike me as being rather sad that this happened there but I guess that the annoyances that has bothered me over the last few years, this is relatively miniscule in the grand scheme of things.

No comments: