Translate

Monday 9 June 2008

To Los Chorros de Calera

I paid a whole US$5.00 for a guide to accompany me today to the waterfalls known here as Los Chorros de Calera - for the two and half hours we took it was what I class as well worth it even though he was about seven years of age. There are shots online at Los Chorros de Calera should you wish to see what the setting is like.

There were quite a few people in and around the location which is also a hydro-electric power station although this is pretty well hidden from view. It is a nice spot and one that I think again that I'm familiar with through SBPS though I won't whine on about this again. There are about 75 shots on the slideshow so it could take some time to get through them. The divers were not bad in the least though I don't think they'll be representing El Salvador in the olympics. It's easy to understand how the diving at Acapulco became such a phenomenon because it is quite a sight even when the action is scaled down to the level that it is at this kind of level. I can understand people paying them to take shots of them and how the poor may be enticed into this kind of sport purely to get out of poverty and risk serious injury because of the relatively high risks involved. As a result I didn't pay any of the divers - I just took photos of them.

I got back to the hotel dripping with sweat largely because I've never really got used to altitude, although I've only been at this kind of level, about 1300 metres, for a few days. Participating in sporting events in these kind of conditions really does not appeal in the least - the number of Brits who have suffered in these conditions does spring to mind and I can wholly understand how it happens.

The picture above is of Rhian Sugden who I think would be particularly well suited to modelling in this kind of location, though I'm sure she can make her own mind up about where she works. Los Chorros is a nice setting even without a glamour model.

No comments: