Translate

Tuesday 17 June 2008

San Pedro Sula - City of nothing much.

It's a real shame that today I was misinformed by staff in the otherwise excellent Cafe Via Via. A few Salva Vidas too many last night and I did slightly oversleep and not make it back into the ruins at Copan. I made my way at about midday via La Entrada to San Pedro hoping to catch a connecting bus from there to La Ceiba, the port from which you can get to Roatan, the island where I may do a little diving. Unfortunately as I state I was misinformed - the buses don't run after about three thirty so when I arrived at five I had little else in the way of choice but to stay over in San Pedro until I can get a bus in the morning.

I don't know if my mind was open enough to challenge what is stated in the PDF guide book I have when I walked here from where I was droppped off by the microbus. The guide states that the town is largely work oriented and very much the opposite of La Ceiba, which is if anything a party town. I don't know if there is anything of real substance in this. As per ususua in Central America everyone appeared to be generally friendly, honest and helpful as I made my way from Parque Central to the Hostal. The only problem was that no-one seemed to understand what I was asking and I must have asked about eight or ten people if I was walking the right street to get to this place and all of them agreed with me that it was Avenida 11 when I think it was Avenida 10. I used to place practical jokes like that on Japanese tourists in the 1970's when I was a kid - maybe there is some form of second city link and the Hondurans are in touch with the childish sense of humour that I had.

The hostal, Hostal Tamarindo, is covered with murals which mimic the work of Picasso. This only really tends to make me wonder about the real Picasso's which are probably located around Honduras as one of the sites where former Nazi's headed. I wonder how many there are in Honduras at present. I hope they don't run the hostal... I was glad I didn't have any de ja vu today - especially when I came into the Hostal, it was very unnerving going into the Manzana Verde and finding that it was similar to one of the SBPS images. There were only about three types of birds that were possible to photograph in Copan and I managed to get images of the very same one's that were entered in club contests several years ago. Can't recall who bloody entered them. Arghhh!!!

No comments: